Saturday, January 2, 2021

Why and How to Start Learning to Read Chinese - Signs: toilet, exit and more


Let's start with why learn Chinese. I shall tell you how later in this blog post.

 Why learn Chinese signs?

You might visit Hong Kong or China, as I did. I was on a trip from Hong Kong to Guilin, those mountains I had first seen on film in Disney in the USA. Going up and down the Guilin mountain I wanted to find the ladies toilet. 

We were a group of men and women of different nationalities following paths up and down a mountain. Easy to lose the guide, or arrive at a toilet and not know whether it was for men and women.


Later, we were living in Singapore where we went because my husband needed a new job and an opportunity arose in Singapore. The languages are four. English is widely spoken as a way of communicating with other residents who speak another language, as well as to overseas visitors. However, when you are at a meeting and rush to the toilet, or even in a shopping mall, it helps to be able to recognize the Chinese words.asie

It is easy or difficult?

It is easy to learn the numbers one to ten, the signs for day and month, the signs for men and women for the toilet.

The  

Which System To Start With?

Advantages of Chineasy

I like the Chineasy flashcards. I keep them by my bed and look at them last thing at night and sometimes first thing in the morning if I wake up early. I also keep them on the dining table to read if I am waiting for food or coffee or for somebody to arrive. 


Today I made two breakthroughs.

Magnifying Glass

1 I placed a magnifying glass next to the flashcard pack so I could easily read the teeny numbers 1,2,3 and 4 to indicate the tones.


Memory Aids

2 I looked for more memory aids for each picture.

For example:

The sign like a letter Seven means Son or offspring. S for seven and S for son.

Double son sign means twins. Two sevens is two sons.


From Simplified Wikipedia

Numbers And Common Words

Chinese

character

(traditional/

simplified)

Pīnyīn

(Mandarin

pronunciation)

MeaningLooks like
一yīone1 line
二èrtwo2 lines
三sānthree3 lines
大dàbig/large/greata person 人 holding out his/her arms as wide as possible
天tiānheaven/sky/daylike 大, but one line above, so the greatest of the great
小xiǎolittle/smallfingers holding onto a needle
上shàngup/above/previousa plant's stem and leaf above the ground
下xiàdown/below/nexta plant's roots
本běnroota tree 木 with its roots showing underground
末mòapexa tree 木 with one extra line on the top, so the very top


Mountain, mouth, month, day, person, woman (toilet)
Chinese

character

(traditional/

simplified)

Pīnyīn

(Mandarin

pronunciation)

MeaningLooks like
山shānmountain3 peaks
人rénperson/people/humanitya creature standing on 2 legs
口kŏumouthan open mouth
刀dāosword/knifea blade
木mùwooda tree
日rìsun/daya sun with a cloud in the middle
月yuèmoon/monthsame as 日, but in the shape of a crescent
女nǚwoman/girl/femaleperson with large breasts
子zi/zĭchilda child wrapped in a blanket
馬 / 马mǎhorsea horse with a head, a mane, a body, a tail, and 4 legs
鳥 / 鸟niǎobirda creature with a head and a wing with feathers
目mùeyean eye with 2 eyelids
水shuǐwaterthree streams of water


Question Word
Chinese

character

(traditional/

simplified)

Pīnyīn

(Mandarin

pronunciation)

MeaningSemantic radicalPhonetic radical (meaning)
清qīngclear氵(水) water青 qīng (greenish-blue)
睛jīngeye目eye青 qīng (greenish-blue)
菜càivegetable/food dish艹 (艸) grass/plant采 cǎi (harvest)
沐mùto wash oneself氵(水) water木 mù (wood)
淋línto pour氵(水) water林 lín (woods)
嗎 / 吗mayes-no question marker (word that ends the sentence of a yes-no question)口 mouth (interjections and particles often have this radical)馬/马 mǎ (horse
)


Animals, Eating and Drinking, and Other Words
SimplifiedTraditionalPinyinMeaning
马馬mǎhorse
鸟鳥niǎobird
鸡鶏jīchicken
华華huámagnificent / China
国國guócountry / nation / state / kingdom
听聽tīnglisten / hear
强強qiángstrong
无無wǔnothing
面麵miànnoodles
话話huàspeak / speech / talk
银銀yínsilver
饮飮yĭndrink
狗豿gŏudog
杀殺shākill
长長chánglong / length
云雲yùncloud


There are several ways to simplify characters.

Useful Websites

chineasy.com

https://l-lingo.com/free-lessons/en/learn-chinese-mandarin/numbers-1-10.html

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simplified_Chinese_characters


About the Author

Angela Lansbury is a teacher, tutor (in person and online) and workshop leader, specialising in English and other languages.

Please contact angela if you need an English language workshop for a Toastmasters Club or a business.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment