Monday, February 19, 2024

When knowing another language can save your life - or not knowing can lose it

 In WW2 a woman caputured by her enemies survived by being an interpreter. She was multilingual.

 In 2023 another women, an Israeli, saved many of her community from attackers because she knew Arabic. 

In between these two events, some time ago in the USA, a Japanese man was shot in the uSA. It was ahlloween and he'd been told to dress up for a party.

He went to the wrong house, the neighbour's. ht neighbour told him to freeze. He ignored the command an marked up and banged on the door. getting no answer he banged harder. The householder shot him dead. They say every event has a silver lining. The only silver lining was for teachers of English in Hapan, because the Japnese started urgently learning American slang.

I have found myself in everyday predicaments several times when travelling. In France, where I speak the language well, I stopped to take a photo. My group disappeared into a nearby restaurant. I raced downhill but could not find them. Eventually I found a local person who showed me where they were. An upstairs restaurant back uphill, above where I had stopped.


No comments:

Post a Comment