Thursday, February 1, 2024

Grammar Groups, alphabet groups, and countries which speak the same languages

 Learning languages is easier if you learn a language with the same grammar structure or pronunciation or vocabulary. However, it is also easier if you understand at a glance the basics of another system.

German & Japanese

English and other Subject Verb Object Languages

Subject Verb Object is SVO for short. English is SVO. I love you. German is SOV. The verb is usually at the end of the sentence. 

Some languages and some lengths of setnece or sentences copied from other languages change this rule. 

Chinese - The Missing Verb To Be

Some languages do not use the ver to be. Instead of I am Angela, I can simply introduce myself as I Angela. That happens in Chinese. So the pronunciation might be difficult, but the grammar is easier. Think of it as having either pronunciation or grammar to make the meaning clearer or more precise.

Without the verb to be, you can say in other language, I Angela, I happy. That would mean I am Angela. I am happy. Those are statements. Equally easy are questions. You  Susan. That would mean are you Susan. You happy would mean you are happy or are you happy. 

There are not only two sentence structures, but six. fortunately most well known languages use the two most common structures. 

Useful Websites

Simple Wikipedia SVO

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subject%E2%80%93verb%E2%80%93object_word_order

https://www.studysmarter.co.uk/explanations/english/global-english/

Please share links to your favourite blog posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment